What's Bruin Learn?
The name Bruin Learn was selected in a process that gathered input from staff, faculty, students and the LMS Transformation Team. It was reviewed with the project’s steering committee and Strategic Communications, and approved by the project’s executive sponsors.
Bruin Learn emphasizes campus identity, community and engagement (“Bruin”) and a student-centered perspective of UCLA’s educational mission (“Learn”). It also follows a long line of storied Bruins including Josephine, Joe, and J. and campus services such as Bruin Walk; BruinBuy, BruinBill, and Bruin Safe Online.
While Bruin Learn is built on the leading Canvas LMS, it will incorporate many other significant tools and capabilities that reflect a broader mission than any one platform:
- Kaltura, Gradescope, etc.
- Eventually, Slack integrations etc.
What is a learning management system (LMS)?
An LMS is a web-based software used by institutions, instructors, and students
to access and manage course materials and communicate about
skill development and achievement.
- Ease of use
- Market leader
BETTER SUITED TO UCLA’S FUTURE
- UC, CSU, community colleges, high schools
- Campus partnerships
ENHANCED STUDENT EXPERIENCE
SHIFT IN TEACHING & LEARNING
- Teaching & Learning has changed
- Best possible tools available are need for faculty, staff and students
- Most transfer students use Canvas
- Many new students used Canvas in high school